How to disinfect the dishwasher sponge in a few minutes

548 points
How to disinfect the dishwasher sponge in a few minutes

The kitchen sponge to wash the dishes is one of the objects that collects a large number of germs, although we do not think about it.

Dish sponges, as the name suggests, are made of fluffy-foamy material (for example, foam or microfiber). The comfort of the scourers lies in the fact that they retain the detergent inside, thus helping us to save it. Another type of domestic use are metal sponges, which are made of wires, with the help of which we can clean the dishes from adhering food.

Unless your kitchen sponge is brand new, it’s almost certainly harboring all kinds of germs. Some of them can simply create an unwanted smell, while others can cause us food poisoning.

The Research has shown that the kitchen sponge is one of the dirtiest items in our home. According to an investigation carried out by the British Hygiene Council, the kitchen sponge has 10 million bacteria per square inch. Many of these bacteria are capable of causing serious illnesses like salmonella poisoning, bacterial infection, and more.

Research has also shown that objects we think of as clean, like dishes and cutting boards, are also very dirty, harboring millions of bacteria.

It is a hidden source of infections, since more than 10 million bacteria pass through its surface. So in order not to wash our dishes with something so dirty, we must first change it often. And then disinfect it, in an easy and fast way.

As we already said, you don’t need to change your dish sponge every three or more times because it smells or looks dirty. You can get rid of germs with the following simple trick.

How to disinfect the sponge

1671218543 910 How to disinfect the dishwasher sponge in a few minutes

It only takes three minutes. First wash the sponge with cold water and dish soap, and after wringing it out well, place it in a container that is also filled with cold water.

Put the bowl in the microwave and leave it for 2-3 minutes at a fairly high temperature. This kills germs and when you take it out and it cools down a bit, your sponge will be germ free.

other method

First, pour a few drops of white vinegar or lemon juice into a bowl of water. Dip the sponge and leave it for a few minutes.

Then microwave the sponge for one minute on the highest setting. The heat will eliminate unpleasant odors and neutralize microorganisms present in the sponge.

Of course, pay attention to the materials from which the sponge is made, as some of them may not be suitable for use in the microwave oven.

Like it? Share with your friends!

548 points