Undoubtedly, today, the supermarket offers us a wide variety of cleaning products to adapt to all needs. However, in the past this was very different, in fact housewives had to do their best to remove stains from clothes.
Laundry detergents are a thing of the past. Using natural soap has many benefits that traditional detergents lack, including being eco-friendly and cost-effective.
Does homemade laundry detergent really work?
This is the first question people often ask about homemade detergent, and it’s certainly a good question: Does it really get fabrics as clean as store-bought detergents? The answer is yes, but with a few caveats, as homemade detergents require specific conditions to work at their best.
Pros and cons of homemade laundry soap
It’s good to weigh the benefits and drawbacks of homemade laundry detergent to make sure it fits your lifestyle, health goals, and laundry routine.
Pro: Reduces toxic chemicals in clothing
Our society has become more aware of harmful and toxic chemicals, especially in our cleaning products, and many companies are making changes to offer more natural cleaning options to consumers.
But making our own laundry detergent means you’ll know exactly what ingredients are used and can protect your family from unnecessary exposure to toxins. In addition to this, it also means saving money.
Cons of homemade soap
One drawback to homemade laundry detergent is that it requires a little more work on your part. Not only do you have to source the ingredients and make the detergent itself, but you also need to make sure the washing conditions are top-notch and the clothes rinse well. It’s definitely more work than just tossing a detergent pod into the washing machine, that’s for sure.
Recipe to make homemade laundry soap
This recipe is to make a powerful homemade liquid soapis a combination of ingredients that will result in an excellent quality soap for washing clothes and other parts of the house.
- 200 grams of soap powder.
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch.
- 1 liter of boiling water.
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
- 5 tablespoons spirit vinegar.
- 3.5 liters of water.
- 500 ml. of detergent.
- To start, in a large bowl, mix the soap powder and cornstarch together well.
- Then add 1 liter of boiling water and with the help of a wooden spoon dissolve the dry ingredients in the hot water. This action is key in the preparation.
- When we get the mixture to reach a homogeneous texture, it is time to add baking soda, but without stopping stirring until it dissolves.
- Now we add the alcohol vinegar, essential to neutralize the bad smell of clothes and humidity. It also acts as a degreaser and removes tough stains.
- Next, we add the 3.5 liters of water at room temperature, but always stirring and mixing, this is very important. As we know in the industries the industrial blender is used, but we do it by hand, so in manual it is essential to stir all the ingredients that we add.
- Finally, it is time to add kitchen detergent of any brand, mix and let the liquid soap sit for approximately 12 hours.
- The next day, we will see that the mixture has reached the desired consistency and is ready to be bottled and reserved for daily laundry use.