Maracuyá or passion fruit is native to Brazil but is grown in other countries with tropical and subtropical climates. The best known species are the purple granadilla and the yellow or passion fruit. Passion fruit has a very intense aroma and a particularly pleasant taste. that makes it worth preparing passion fruit water on these hot days.
This fruit has an oval or rounded shape, it is medium or small in size, depending on the quality; yellow passion fruit is actually larger than purple passion fruit. Passion fruit skin is not edibleso only the pulp is eaten.
The seeds, on the other hand, are often used for animal feed and for oil extraction. The taste of passion fruit is sweet and sour and the plant flowers all summer.
Now that it has numerous benefits and incredible taste, you will love trying the passion fruit water. A perfect summer drink that tastes best when served cold.
Properties of passion fruit
Passion fruit is very digestible, it is rich in vitamin C, iron, beta-carotene, dietary fiber and potassium. It also contains a good amount of Omega 6 fatty acids, which are very beneficial for keeping the body healthy.
Thanks to its nutritional characteristics, passion fruit has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is capable of protecting the skin from atmospheric agents and the action of free radicals.
Passion fruit is very good against gastritis, water retention and colitis. It also helps keep the arteries clean and is therefore an excellent protector of the health of the heart and the entire cardiovascular system.
Calories and nutritional values of passion fruit
Passion fruit contains 97 kcal per 100 g. In addition, 100 g of product contains:
- Fat 0.7g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 28mg
- Potassium 348mg
- Carbs 23g
- Sugars 11g
- Fiber 10g
- Protein 2.2g
How to prepare passion fruit water
- Cut the passion fruit in half and extract the pulp. Add the pulp to a blender.
- Add water in an amount 3 times greater than the amount of fruit. Blend for about a minute. The gelatin that surrounds the black seeds will be removed when mixing. Make sure you don’t over mix, as the seeds will break apart and create clumps.
- Strain to separate the seeds.
- Add about 3 times more cold water and sweetener to taste.
- Transfer the juice to a bottle or pitcher and refrigerate.
- Consume this delicious drink straight from the refrigerator, with lots of ice or mixed with vodka.
- Serve it in an insulated steel mug and enjoy.