Painting is one of the most affordable ways to give your home’s interior a much-needed facelift. And, compared to other home improvement tasks, it’s a project that can be completed in a relatively short amount of time.
But, What should you do if you discover mold on the surface you intend to paint? While patches of black mold on the wall, or any other surface, can be an eyesore, unfortunately, the issues go beyond aesthetics.
Mold is also associated with health risks and can cause serious respiratory problems, especially in children and pets. In this other article you can learn about all the dangers of mold to health.
Reasons why it is not a good idea to paint over mold
Also, in severe cases, it can cause damage to the structure of the house. It may seem like a good solution to simply paint over the mold patches. However, the truth of the matter is that if the root of the problem is not addressed, mold will soon resurface.
These are the reasons why covering mold patches with a fresh coat of paint is never a good idea.
Paint does not kill mold
Since mold is a living organism, you might think that paint will suffocate it and prevent it from coming back. Unfortunately, this is not the case.
Common household paint is porous and will not limit the access of oxygen to mold. Although paint may temporarily cover up ugly black spots, mold will continue to grow underneath, causing the paint to bubble and peel.
While there are some brands of paint that claim to be mold resistant, they work by preventing the growth of new mold and not removing existing mold, in this case, you might want to try paints that can actually kill it, but they are often expensive.
If you are planning to purchase a property and suspect that the owner may have painted over moldy areas, it is recommended that you inspect the home. Otherwise, you might be dismayed to find that patches of mold start to appear on your walls soon after you move in.
The root cause must be addressed first
Before painting, the first task must be to remove all mold from the surface. Depending on the level of infestation, this could be something you can do yourself.
Bleach is effective at killing spores on the surface and removing the dark spot. However, if the surface is porous, such as wood or drywall, you’ll want to use a substance that penetrates deeper into the material and kills any spores that exist underneath, such as vinegar.
If the mold patch is larger than 10 square feet, it’s a good idea to turn it over to a professional.
After repairing the root of the mold problem, now would be the time to choose a good protective paint. It’s a good idea to first prepare the surface with an anti-mold primer, before finishing with the anti-mold paint.
Also, if you want to paint a surface that is prone to moisture, like your bathroom or kitchen, it might be best to choose a waterproof paint as well.